Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Oh, the Wonderful Library

Last night was my first time volunteering there. It was pretty fun, excepting the first fifteen minutes...
Elia and I are "buddies" which basically means we just are working at the same time. Our job is basically to sign people up for the Summer Reading Program and to shelve books.
Unfortunately for us, NO ONE who was supposed to help us was there. The librarians in charge of the Teen Volunteers (us) had left, and so had the other teens, apparently. There was this huge group around the table, waiting for someone to sign them up. Neither Elia or I had ever volunteered before, and we didn't really know what to do. We read the information they had given us (there really wasn't that much, actually) and figured things out from our memories and what other people who'd signed up before seemed to expect.
It was really awkward for those first few minutes.
But then everybody left and we figured out what to do. So we started talking about books and movies and what we like to do. She's about a month older than me, and we have a lot in common. We have similar taste in movies and books. We discussed Sherlock (and our longing to punch Moffat) and the Hunger Games and the Mortal Instruments and the Hobbit and Star Trek: Into Darkness. I would love to go see that movie, and Dad said we could go see it, but so far he has yet to take me. :P
Library.
That word is full of magic, don't you think? You can practically smell books in that word. It makes me think of secret passages and hidden secrets and shadows and stories, so many stories. Ooh, I LOVE libraries. :D
So the fact that I get to spend four hours a week there is awesome. And I really wish I could be there more (and that I could get paid, because I need a job).
Now I'm FINALLY going shopping, so adios!!

2 comments:

  1. That's neat, Addi! You'll have to show me when I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I COMPLETELY and UTTERLY agree with this paragraph? ^_^

    Library.
    That word is full of magic, don't you think? You can practically smell books in that word. It makes me think of secret passages and hidden secrets and shadows and stories, so many stories. Ooh, I LOVE libraries. :D

    ReplyDelete