Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Addi's Current Favs


Unwind
This. Freaking. Book. 
And the sequel, UnWholly. 
The next one doesn't come out until October. :(
But here's why I love it: 
It's deep. It's so incredibly deep. It deals with life and death and souls and God and love and I can't freaking get over it. This is one of those books that will haunt you. 
Almost all of the characters have at least one chapter from their perspective. Even the bad guys. So you see everyone's motives and thought process and vulnerabilities, which makes it about 50x more intense. Within the first three pages of the second book, I was already cheering for a new character. I think this might be my new favorite book. 
It is terrifying. In a really powerful way. 
I'm trying to put these feelings into words. 
It makes me want to scream, and cry, and smack some sense into certain characters, and kiss other ones, and I love it, I love it... 
*breathes deeply*
Here's the scariest part. 
The books are divided into parts. At the beginning of each part, the author quotes articles or parts from books. 
And most of them aren't made up. He legitimately cites real articles from the past few years that relate to the story and what's happening. Not only relate, but sometimes are about. 
Honestly, there few things scarier than finding out halfway through the book that it's not as fictional as you thought. He did his research. 
Here's basically what it comes down too: There was a war over abortion, and not only that, but schools shut down (not sure why). Teens weren't in school, and didn't have jobs, and almost toppled the government completely. 
Until someone came up with unwinding. It was a compromise for the ProLife and ProChoice people, and took care of the crazy teenagers. Kids between 13 and 18 could be unwound. Everyone in America knows about organ donors and transplants and stuff. Unwinding is a bigger scale version of that. I think they said 99.4% of the Unwind has to remain alive. 
The Unwinds - either problem kids, or tithes, or wards, or whatever - are taken to Harvest Camps, where their body is cut apart so other people can use the body parts. Hearts, lungs, arms, legs, even eyes. 
And they're alive. It's the most creepy thing I've heard of. Including the Hunger Games.
It's worse than the Hunger Games, first of all because they have little to no chance of winning/escaping, secondly because a lot more kids are affected by it instead of 24 teens a year. And because it's not a drawing. There's no odds.
Nope, the parents or guardians have to sign a paper that says they give permission for their kid to be unwound. It's sick. 
Here's why I liked it better than the Hunger Games (and y'all should know I love the Hunger Games. They're epic.)
Unwind is deeper, more profound, and deals with more issues. Not just humanity and love, but God, death, respect, betrayal, hate, revenge, lost innocence, regret, neglect, fear, hope, leadership...
In the first book, a bunch of kids ask each other at what point a person has a soul. 
If you ask me, that's the whole point of the books. 

That turned into a serious rant. >_> Oops.

Lord of the Rings
Holly and I watched the Two Towers a couple days ago and we're hoping to watch Return of the King tonight. :D
Holly said Gollum was cute. >_> And she fell asleep during the Battle of Helm's Deep. Crazy child.
I love Lord of the Rings. :D If I ever met the Doctor, and I got a ride in the TARDIS, I would go back in time and meet C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. That'd be the most epic thing ever.
I love it. I love the story, I love the characters, I love the songs/poems that are in the books.
I can not wait until the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug comes out (yes, I watched the trailer. Like fifty times.)

Mumford and Sons
Current favorite music. I like White Blank Page best.

No comments:

Post a Comment