Sunday, August 30, 2015

Senior Year and Stuff

First, I solemnly promise to post the last part of the Road Trip Series really, really soon.

Second, school has started.

And I really like it.

Not all of it. I do not like Personal Finance in the slightest, and staying awake through English on block days is one of the most challenging things ever, but...

For the most part, I'm very, very happy at school.

There are so many wonderful people at school, and so many wonderful things to learn, and experiences to be had and conversations to be held and every morning just seems so optimistic.

It's weird.

But golly, the past two weeks have been almost completely golden.

So. Many. Fun. Classes.

Ministry and Missions, Systematic Theology, Concert Choir and Madrigals, Music Theory, College English, even Government is kind of interesting. And AP Statistics is... bearable.

And there's so many people to talk to!

We had three days of school before leaving on senior trip. And senior trip was surprisingly fun. I really think the only thing most people got out of it was closer/new friendships, but I also know that some people were very much impacted by it. I just really loved hanging out with my friends, and with people who weren't really my friends before the trip. We did flips off diving boards, ziplined, jumped off the high dive, did the barn swing dozens of times, talked and worshiped and "bonded." And it was great.

The ride home, however... well, let's just say that 7+ hours on a bus with over forty other girls does not bring out the best in people. I mostly hid under a blanket fort with Ellen and listened to music.

But I liked the trip for the most part. There were too many athletic activities and too much segregation between the guys and girls, but overall, I had a lot of fun. And we came up with some bomb-awesome ideas for making senior year rock, several of which we have already implemented. Also, worship with that group? A-freaking-mazing. So many kids in our class are musically talented, and when everyone is channeling that towards God, it's so so so so cool.

This week has been mostly us figuring out school, since we barely had time last week. I've learned that we will get very, very little done it Stats, and get a heck of a lot done in music theory.

Music theory is just me and two guys (whom I like very much) and we are, um, a little competitive. Which is great, because we gets loads done very quickly and we're pushing each other to get better. But, it's also a wee bit scary because there are days when I think Oh gosh, we will not all make it out as friends. Let's just say we are all very smart and very used to being the smartest. At least it keeps things interesting, and if we make it out alive, I think we will all be better for this healthy competition.

Thursday afternoon, several senior girls stayed after school and covered the mirrors in two of the bathrooms with brown paper. We then proceeded to write on the paper. We wrote verses, song lyrics, quotes, all sorts of random things. Some were heartfelt, some were funny, but they all celebrated beauty that goes beyond what someone looks like. We wrote about being a strong woman, about being made in the image of God, of being wonderful and loved and valued. And I think it may have been more meaningful for us seniors who made it than any of the underclassmen who saw it.

Thursday was also Sonic's annual $0.50 corn dog day, so before we started working, Sofia and I drove to Sonic and got fifteen corn-dogs. It was glorious, and we thought it was hilarious. The guy who took our order was a little surprised by how many we wanted. They were delicious corn dogs, too.

Friday night absolutely wonderful. It was Final Friday, so Holly and I dropped by R Coffee Shop to see Maddie's artwork before it was moved/sold. It was amazing art, and an adorable shop, and really good coffee. Then we went to Sonic, got kids' grilled cheeses with tots, and headed to Trinity for the soccer game. We saw about twenty minutes of the game before it stopped for lightning. My dearest Laura was at the game, as Trinity was playing her school, so I chatted with her as we waited to find out what everyone else was going to do. We decided to head to someone's house for swing dancing. Well, we decide this, and suddenly it's pouring. Buckets of rain fall from the sky, and we are drenched in seconds. And obviously we have to sprint to our car, which about as far away as we could have parked, and everyone is screaming with delighted shock and we're running through puddles, avoiding cars, cheering and gasping and feeling suddenly, exquisitely vibrant and young. So we run, and Laura ends up in our car and we're shaking with cold and blasting the Black Keys and trying to find her parents. We find their car and drop her off and yell goodbye and exchange phone numbers with the promise to hang out soon.

Then Holly and I drive to the swing dancing party. It was a small party, really just us, five boys and six-ish other girls. But it was lovely. We played music and danced in the backyard on the basketball court and ate Chex Mix with M&Ms. I was getting fairly decent at it by the end of the evening. There is something so fun about swing dancing. It's so fast, and takes so much energy, and I mess up so much (sorry, Devin and Ethan), but it's so fun and relaxed. My goal is to be fairly competent by Barn Dance.

As the night wore on, we all got exhausted, and wound up sitting around a fire pit singing. Isaac brought his violin, Will had his guitar, and Ethan had his ukulele and an impromptu jam session happened. Will sang Untitled by Matt Corby and... wow. The feels.

Holly and I stayed until a little after midnight, singing and talking and dancing. It was really, really great. I was kind of surprised how much fun I had, since none of my "usual" friends were there. But it was nice to branch out, and amazing to get to practice dancing all night, and the jam/worship session at the end was just... Mmm. Yas. It was a good, good night.

So all in all? I'm so optimistic about this year. I have been blessed with someone wonderful friends and fabulous teachers, and I get to learn about things I actually care about.

Senior year, let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment