Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Disagreeing and Hating Are Not the Same

Dear Modern Culture,

Please learn this: Disagreeing and hating are not the same. Seriously.

There is a huge, huge, huge difference between hate and disagreement. I disagree with my family a lot, but that definitely doesn't mean I hate them. I disagree with my friends, but that doesn't mean I hate them.
So how come whenever someone gives an opinion that disagrees with popular belief, they are labelled as "hateful"? I genuinely don't understand this. (But, as I have often pointed out, there's a lot I don't understand about society and the world and modern culture.)

To put this in more understandable terms, Harry Potter hated Snape, Umbridge, and Voldemort.
He often disagreed with Dumbledore, Hermione, and Ron.
See the difference?
Good.

I'm not going to deny that some people can act hateful in the way they express their disagreement, but that is not always, not even often, the case.

So if someone could explain this phenomenon, I'd be grateful.

The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment